Thursday, December 2, 2010

Seriously this time...

I've written about this before, but this time I'm serious. For real.

I have to start learning to cook. There’s really no way around it. I can’t eat cereal and pasta forever. (But WHY NOT!? Because you’re an adult, Katie. That’s why)

The problem that I find myself encountering is that everything I TRY to cook usually contains pasta (or cereal)… Beef Stroganoff. Baked ziti. (Rice crispy treats).  I think it’s because I’m afraid of cooking meat. This may or may not be directly related to an incident of chicken potpie gone wrong. Side note, apologies to Natalie and Jonnie. Seriously you guys, I still feel bad. I think all of us walked away from that one a little scarred for life.
MOVING ON…

What I’ve discovered is this: I need to stick with dishes that only require the assembling ingredients. You guys, I DOMINATE a veggie platter. I can make the best 7 layer bean dip ever. Do you see the theme? These things only require assembly, not actual talent or measuring or cooking or crying. So I think my cookbooks should fall somewhere in the  “478 Crock-Pot Meals” category. Buy ingredients. Ingredients go in crock-pot. Walk away from crock-pot. Return hours later and voila! Dinner. This method is especially appealing because crock-pot dinners are the one thing that actually tastes better the longer you leave them cooking. Something about flavors and whatever. I think it’s actually impossible to burn a crock-pot meal, so there’s another one for the “pros” column. Cons? You have to plan ahead. You have to start making dinner at, like…breakfast. Which probably means waking up early and yeah…no.

So you see my dilemma. Branching out is hard to do.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Your blog popped back up on my google reader and I was pretty excited about it :-) i just love your writing!