Saturday, January 22, 2011

If at first you don't love it, try, try again?

I signed up for my 2nd half marathon.

I’m not really sure why. I vaguely remember finishing my first and saying (in a very obvious runner’s high moment) “That was awesome! I want to do another one!”. But the memory is foggy and mostly overshadowed by the days of intense pain that followed. I think I said “Never again!” a couple hundred times, but like I said…it’s foggy.

Anyways, I’m assuming that people run more than one half marathon or marathon for the same reason women decide to have more than one child. Something is wrong with our brains. There is something that makes us forget the pain and suffering and think “Well, golly! I should do that again! Why not?”

WHY NOT!? Oh allow me to refresh your memory:
1. Weeks of training. WEEKS. Weeks of re-arranging your social calendar because you have to run. Weeks of waking up early on Saturdays to run LONG, LONG distances.

2. Gu. That paste you have to drink so you don’t collapse and die on the long runs. Gross.
3. Pain. Suffering. Aches. Creaks. Bruises. Blisters. Callouses.
4. AND PERHAPS THE MOST IMPORTANT REASON TO NOT EMBARK ON THIS JOURNEY AGAIN: none of your jeans fit. Leg muscles change and suddenly your $200 pair of jeans doesn’t fit. Is this REALLY worth it?

But then there’s the upside…the feeling of accomplishment that lasts for about 30 minutes before the pain sets in. The 13.1 sticker that you can slap on the back of your car, only to feel totally foolish and lame when you see every other car has one (including the soccer mom in the carpool line) or to be looked at with disdain by the guy in the Subaru with the bike rack on top and the 150.4 sticker on the back of his car. Whatever. Really, the best part is being able to eat whatever you want because your body has turned into a calorie chugging machine.

But regardless, it’s too late now. I paid my $80. I’m committed. I’m doing it. But that doesn’t mean I have to like it.

I've also talked two of my best friend's into embarking on this delightful journey with me. I told them it was great and they would love it.

No comments: