Thursday, January 6, 2011

Twenty Eleven

I should probably take my Christmas tree down, right? I should. I totally should. But there’s this part of me that thinks “What’s the big deal? Why can’t it just stay there?”

First of all, it looks really good in that one corner of my room. It’s just going to be empty and bare and sad when that tree is gone. The chair that will replace the tree will sit there, a mocking reminder of the un-festiveness of everyday décor.

Secondly, the tree still LOOKS really great. So shouldn’t I reward the tree for maintaining its lush greenery for so long by letting it showcase itself to the world? Or at least to me and my other bedroom furniture? Plus, I’m really worried that actually touching the tree to remove ornaments will cause every needle on every branch to immediately release in a violent freefall to my floor. Do you know how long it takes to clean up pine needles? DO YOU? I’ll be sweeping up needles until AT LEAST November.

Thirdly, there is something extremely depressing about un-trimming a tree. It’s akin to shaving a dog. You look at it after all of its bulk and beauty has been removed and you just feel…sad. It doesn’t look right. It doesn’t feel right. A mere shadow of its former self, huddled in the corner, shivering and distrustful of the human who reduced it to this. 

And then I had this thought…why can’t I just use 2011 as one big transition from holiday to holiday? Why can’t the tree stay up until February 14th? Why can’t the tree transition into a Valentine’s Day tree? (It’s now hitting me why my next purchase should be an artificial Christmas tree…) Then Valentine’s Day can last until…what’s next? St. Patrick’s Day? Then Easter and so on…
Basically, I want to turn my room into the holiday aisle at Wal-mart.
2011, you’re shaping up to be a great year after all.

No comments: